Thursday, September 27, 2007

Off to Oregon ...

Day 1
It’s 5 am Central Time, September 20, 2007.
Here I am, all packed and ready to leave for my vacation to Oregon. During this time, I plan to visit family in Portland, and then drive down with them to Crater Lake National Park in Central Oregon. Crater Lake National Park, was on a list of the “1000 places to visit before you die”. Let’s see if I can confirm that claim.
I’ve packed my Canon S3 IS camera, carried 3 GB in memory cards, and a newly acquired lightweight tripod. This trip should be a good time to use it.
It is a much awaited break for me – Also, I will finally get to see firsthand, the famous Oregon coast and the haystack rock.
In an effort to totally cut myself away from work, I’ve decided to leave my laptop behind. The entries that follow will be scribbled and typed in later. Yes, yes – I know that is against the concept of blogging, but then I can call it a travelogue and get away with it!

After a delay at O’Hare (why can’t flights from ORD ever be on time?), my flight takes off. It lands in Minneapolis a full 9 minutes before my connecting flight is scheduled to depart. Thanking the good sense that made me wear sneakers, I sprint from one end of Minneapolis airport to the other where my next flight is about to take off. I run to the gate, sprint in … My seat is in the first row by the door. Just as I sit down, the gate attendant closes the aircraft door and retracts the aerobridge. Whew! Talk about “just in time”.

Flying over the Rockies was a beautiful sight … Despite it being summer, the mountains were snow capped.




Soon, it was time to land into Portland. I had my camera ready, and here are some aerial shots of Portland - mainly of the Wilamet river.

No comments :