Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Pacific coast, Oregon

The next morning, after a sumptuous breakfast of chicken & pita bread sandwiches with some fresh fruit – (By now I had realized why my aunt had packed that huge amount of food … we needed it!) It was time to head out. The journey was a drive around the pacific coastal route, the famous Hwy 101. This route is amazingly scenic. Scenic cliffs, beautiful sandy beaches, the white foamy waves crashing on the cliffs and the sand – these were sights I could gaze on all day … I don’t know what it is about the ocean that is so relaxing. I always find myself refreshed after gazing at the ocean. Moving on, we saw a part of the coast where the water had carved out a hole in a rock and when the waves rushed in – the water spouted out like a whale spout – Here it is!


Continuing north towards Portland along the coast, my cousin mentioned that a visit to the Tillamook cheese factory was mandatory! So off we went to Tillamook. After a tour of the cheese factory and samples of the cheese, I was told they have some of the best ice cream around. Ate that too … By now I had long stopped thinking of the words “calorie count” …
We continued further north to the haystack rock – famous rock that finds itself on most of the Oregon posters and tourist pictures. The sunset and the rock at the beach was a picture perfect setting … The 80 mile drive back was over rather too soon, and I realized with more than a twinge of sadness that my vacation was almost over. Tomorrow, I would be heading back to Chicago. As I was thinking of getting back to the routine, I realized I would always have all these awesome sights and memories of my time spent with my aunt, uncle and cousin to reflect on whenever I wished – in the blink of an eye! Isn’t that awesome?


2 comments :

A said...

Wonderful snapss!!!

Raingirl said...

Nice pictures!!